Mortgage Lending Officer
JOB TITLE: Mortgage Lending Officer
REPORTS TO: President of location and Chief Lending Officer
BASIC FUNCTION: Spends majority of time each week engaged in soliciting and originating quality mortgage loans and performing related marketing and business development activities; performs activities in support of outside sales efforts such as taking applications, qualifying applicants, quoting rates, and providing customer service; and ensures compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations and Company guidelines.
JOB SPECIFICS: Requires a 4-year college degree in business or related field with a minimum of seven years’ experience in mortgage lending. Requires knowledge of mortgage lending and mortgage loan processing. Requires extensive knowledge of mortgage lending regulations and procedures. Requires organizational, analytical, negotiation and excellent computer skills. Self‑motivated, able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and work in a stressful environment. Good interpersonal, communication, and customer relations skills. Attention to detail and mental concentration for accurately performing tasks and tolerating frequent interruptions. Must be able to spend a significant time traveling locally and long distances to perform business development duties.
SUPERVISORY DIMENSIONS: Oversees the daily work of subordinates; assists in the hiring decisions of new employees; trains employees; participates in performance reviews when necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Sets weekly and monthly mortgage loan origination goals.
- Customarily and regularly makes business development and sales calls on mortgage loan prospects and customers at their places of business and solicits mortgage loan applications when possible.
- Visit all Bank locations to cultivate mortgage business.
- Makes outside calls on current and prospective realtors, builders, network contacts, and other outside groups to help expand customer base.
In support of outside sales and solicitation activities, performs or participates in the following activities to include:
- preparing solicitation correspondence
- taking loan applications in person and over the telephone including qualifying loan applicants, quoting rates, locking rates, revisiting with loan applicants to obtain additional items needed to complete the loan application, obtaining signatures on documents, and mailing loan packages
- making decisions regarding customer problems relating to applications, processing, or closing of loans
- determining loans and terms within own lending limits, or making recommendations to senior management and/or Loan Committee
- interacting with mortgage loan processors, investors, borrowers, realtors, builders, etc. throughout the loan process
- participating in decisions regarding files, investors, and profit or “spread” on rate locks.
- working with management on loan package deficiencies
- contacting and working with attorneys, accountants, employees, and vendors when necessary
- perfecting the Company’s security interest in loan through properly filing documents with appropriate agencies
- assisting with mortgage loan operations activities including reporting results on originations, in process, and closed loans
- ensuring compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations and Company guidelines.
- Provides financial advice on products to customers and prospective customers.
- Maintains awareness of community and civic activities and participates in activities to enhance the image, reputation, and professionalism of the Company and to promote Company services.
- Serves on civic and community boards as appropriate.
- Stays abreast of relevant laws and regulations.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.